Hello internet friends!
There are quite a few new faces around – so I either caught the tail-end of that Techcrunch newsletter article or you’re all friends of Bob Sherron who noticed that my newsletters look nice in Instapaper. My HTML game is strong, indeed.
Hello new readers! Have a cookie.
Lately – and mostly because my friends and me are a bunch of soon to be middle-aged, just slightly too nerdy to be hipsters who like to make fun of “youth culture” – the concept of YOLO has been part of conversations around me. That and the rather related topics of sleep and the comfort zone keeps creeping up and to end those discussions (“I can sleep when I’m dead!” “You will be dead pretty soon if you keep not sleeping.”) here we go:
unified theory of YOLO, the comfort zone and sleep.
- Yes. One probably does live only once. There are religions that claim otherwise and maybe they are right, but as far as I can tell, we have one run at being alive and once it’s over, it’s over.
- Yes, if at all humanly possible, you should live your life to the fullest. Carpe diem.
- Sleep is pretty bloody awesome. It’s not like being dead because I don’t think I’ll be riding firebreathing dragons over futuristic battlefields once I am dead.
- As far as I understand my older relatives, sleep is not all that easy to come by anymore once you get older. So – sleep while you can.
- The comfort zone is called comfort zone because it is comfortable. A lot of evolutionary work has gone into creating comfort zones. I don’t see a single reason to leave them. We worked hard to create them and it would be a waste of a good comfort zone to leave it.
- That being said: every person has their own comfort zone. If your comfort zone includes not sleeping and/or jumping out of airplanes – go for it! If your comfort zone includes gardening – enjoy! If your comfort zones are PUA forums on the internet – get help. Please.
- It’s always a good idea to nudge on the borders of one’s comfort zone. How else to make it a bit bigger and roomier?
- I kind of forgot what I wanted to say. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ YOLO!
WordPress plugins will soon have fancy icons. I know that some of you have mad crazy icon skills – anyone want to donate an icon or two for my plugins? I quite fancy those that look inappropriate once you have a dirty mind but innocent to those who don’t.
Well, sorry about all that. Have a good day.
A fancy way to say YOLO and a slight tip of the hat to the late Robin Williams. ↩
We as in: Humanity. The generations before us. Not necessarily us who write and read stuff on the internet. ↩