Hello internet friends,
I hope this letter finds you well, after it travelled back and forth underneath the oceans.
We stay underwater and have a lot into the past. Apparently Herodotus described a type of boat that nobody else whose words made it through the millenia ever mentioned, so people most thought: eh, old Herodotus. A world-class historian, not much of a nautical engineer.
Turns out if you look at the right place, you actually find more proof that this kind of boat exists – and where, if not the river Nile, would you find an old boat? Nile shipwreck discovery proves Herodotus right – after 2,469 years. Nice.
More underwater news? This interview is pretty bonkers: Latest Generation of Lionfish-Hunting Robot Can Find and Zap More Fish Than Ever
It sounds like a great idea to release an army of app-controlled fish-zapping robots. What could possibly go wrong?
Okay, enough underwater now, let’s go up in the sky!
Apparently a huge meteor hit the earth some time in December and nobody really noticed: Meteor blast over Bering Sea was 10 times size of Hiroshima
What’s even more interesting: a Japanese satellite took a picture of the entry event – and you’ll have to zoom it quite a bit to see it.
Okay, some more bits and pieces:
- The Iditarod leader’s dogs went on strike after he yelled at them – yepp, yelling at dogs doesn’t really work all that well.
- How an App for Gamers Went Mainstream – influencers are using Discord. Sure, why not? Maybe I should start a Discord server, who’d be interested, though?
- ‘Terrace House’ Is a Harrowing, Emotional Adventure That Makes You Rethink Reality Television – You probably know by now that I like Terrace House. Read this and maybe, just maybe, you’ll give it a try, too? The next season will start in May or June and I’ll need people to talk about it. (Maybe on a Discord chat?)
- Nah, screw Discord. Let’s use Google Docs: The Hottest Chat App for Teens Is … Google Docs
- What do so many global cuisines have in common? A bright yellow package of Maggi magic. – how a Swiss condiment company, started to add some flavour to the meager post-war cuisine, took over the world. Fascinating.
- GACHA Autonomous Shuttle Bus – another self-driving pod-bus-thingy concept. This one is by Muji, though and the video is just adorable.
- If you don’t really plan to sleep well tonight, why not read this scathing article about the certification process of Boeing airplanes: Flawed analysis, failed oversight: How Boeing, FAA certified the suspect 737 MAX flight control system